How to Prevent an Electrical Fire
A fire can start in many different ways, but an electrical fire is by far the worst when it comes to the amount of damage it can do. Of all the different ways a fire can spark, electrical fires result in the highest dollar loss. Sadly, roughly 25,000 electrical fires are reported in the U.S. each year. In order to not have one start in your home, know the prevention methods.
Too Many Cords
One of the most common ways for electrical fires to start is when there are too many cords plugged into a single electrical outlet. Some people will connect multiple power strips and extension cords together with only one outlet feeding them electricity. Avoid using more than one strip and make sure it has internal overload protection.
Frayed Cords & Wires
If there are sections of wiring in your electrical system that’s damaged, fires can easily start. Even something as simple as having a frayed cord can cause a spark or the outlet to overheat. To avoid this, have any damaged electrical wires repaired and replace any worn out cords on all electronics and appliances.
Moving into a home that is new to you should be a good enough reason to have an electrician look over the electrical system. Even if you’ve lived in your home for many years you should schedule an inspection, especially if it’s been a long time since the last one. Any home that is old or consists of aluminum wiring, puts you at a high risk for a potentially dangerous fire.
The first step in avoiding an electrical fire is knowing all the ways in which you can prevent it from starting. When you need an electrician to inspect and repair your electrical system, contact the pros at SameDay Heating & Air. To learn more, or to schedule an inspection, give us a call at (801) 726-3329.