Natural Ways to Save on Heating Costs
The goal for many people this winter is to save on heating costs. This is a hard feat to accomplish when the temperatures reach below the freezing point. Luckily for you there are ways to save on heating costs without leaving you to suffer in the cold.
- Install Curtains – Almost half of the heat that escapes from your home is due to windows being uncovered. By adding heavy curtains to each window in your home you can insulate your windows and keep the warm air from leaving the premises.
- Seal the Cracks – Sometimes windows and doors do not perfectly fit their frames, leaving openings that can allow warm air to escape. By adding weatherstripping to these areas, and caulking any damage cracks, you can save up to a quarter of total heat loss.
- Heat Certain Rooms – It is unlikely that all of the rooms in your home will be used every day. Try only heating the rooms that are used frequently and put all of the other rooms on a minimum temperature. Programmable thermostats with zone heating can easily help you with this.
- Insulate Plumbing – Pipes for hot water heaters can be insulated with foam pieces or insulated tape. This can keep the water in your tank and pipes at a warmer temperature than if they were sitting bare in your home. Pipes without insulation will waste more energy trying to keep the water at a specific temperature.
- Maintenance – Perform routine maintenance yourself, as well as having a professional service your heating system. This will make sure that it is running as efficiently as possible. Expert technicians will replace any faulty parts and let you know when it is time to replace the entire unit.
Turning your heat down will save you money, but there is no reason to sit in a cold house. Use these tips to keep your house warm while you’re saving a good chunk of change. When you need an expert to look at your heating system, contact the pros at SameDay Heating & Air. To learn more, or to schedule a service, give us a call at (801) 726-3329.