How Often Should I Change My Air Filter?
Here at SameDay, we get asked this question a lot. Knowing when to change your HVAC air filter is an important part of keeping your system running smoothly. Not only are routine air filter changes necessary for maintenance purposes, but doing so can provide your home with incredible benefits to its indoor air quality.
If you’re wondering if it’s time to change your HVAC air filter, or if you’re unsure how to do it yourself, contact the team at SameDay. Our expert technicians are happy to help you navigate the process and ensure your HVAC systems are in proper working condition. Call us at (801) 296-0632 to schedule service today!
When to Change Your Salt Lake City Air Filter
How often you should change your air filter can depend on a wide range of factors that may at first appear unrelated to your HVAC system. The following are just some examples of things that can determine your air filter changing schedule:
- The type of air filter your system uses
- Your home’s indoor air quality
- The number of pets living in the home
- How many people occupy the home
- The level of air pollution or construction surrounding your home
Typically, basic 1” – 3” air filters are recommended to be changed every 30-60 days. More robust air filter options exist, however, to accommodate those who suffer from allergies. If you are an allergy sufferer, you may also consider changing your air filters more frequently than the recommended period. Especially when the inversion season hits in Salt Lake City, homeowners should replace their air filters on a monthly basis to avoid increased pollutants from contributing to poorer indoor air quality.
For additional guidelines on when to change your air filter, refer to the outline below:
- Vacation Homes: Change every 6-12 months
- Single-Occupant Homes (No Pets/Allergies): Change every 6-12 months
- Average Suburban Home Without Pets: Change every 90 days
- Average Suburban Home with 1 Pet: Change every 60 days
- Average Suburban Home with >1 Pet: Change every 20-45 days
Benefits of Changing Your Air Filter
Changing your HVAC system’s air filter regularly provides homeowners with great benefits, including the following:
- Improved indoor air quality with decreased dust, pollen, allergens, and other airborne contaminants
- Increased HVAC efficiency and monthly savings
- Extended system life span
- Enhanced eco-friendliness due to improved energy efficiency
Since your HVAC system won’t need to work twice as hard to heat or cool your home through a dirty air filter, it can work efficiently to provide you with total comfort. Without the increased effort, you’ll see a significant drop in your monthly energy expenses — especially if your system has operated with a polluted filter for longer than it should.
SameDay for Salt Lake City’s Air Filter Service Needs
Whether you need an HVAC technician to assist with air filter replacement or require routine maintenance for your system, SameDay has the professional team you need to access total comfort in your Salt Lake City home. Our team deploys the services you need, exactly when you need them, offering most services on (you guessed it) the same day!
Contact our team at (801) 296-0632 to schedule HVAC service in your home and improve your indoor air quality today.