Electrical Safety 101
You can never be too safe when it comes to the electrical system in your home. One bad decision could start an electrical fire or cause a shock that could seriously injure you. Utilize these best practices when it comes to electrical safety.
When you plug a cord into an outlet or power strip, don’t just set it and forget it. Every so often, go around your home and look at each cord. Check them for damage, make sure the connection is secure, and that none of them are overheating.
When household appliances are not in use, it would be wise to unplug them. Obviously, refrigerators shouldn’t be unplugged, but smaller appliances like coffee machines and toaster ovens should be. Doing so will also help you save on your utility bills.
Too Many Chiefs
Many people will overload outlets with multiple power strips and extension cords. Don’t connect multiple power strips to each other or plug in multiple extension cords into one outlet. This could result in a blown circuit or the start of a bad electrical fire.
Cords should be treated with care when plugging them in and out of outlets. Yanking on the cord can damage the cord, eventually exposing the wires. A damaged cord is a prime candidate for an electrical shock or fire. When unplugging a cord, place your hand on the head of the plug and pull slowly.
When storing extension cords, power strips, and anything else with a cord, carefully wrap up the cords. Store them in a dry and safe place away from heat, water, and children especially. Cords damaged by heat or water or ones that are in the hands of children can be extremely dangerous.
Knowing the basics of electrical safety is important so you can reduce the chances of any accidents or house fires. If you ever need a professional electrician to help you with your home’s electrical system, contact the experts at SameDay Heating & Air. To learn more, or to schedule an appointment, give us a call at (801) 726-3329.